Lincoln Crematorium Phase 2
Date 2019 - present
Location Lincoln, Lincolnshire
Quantity Surveyor: Gleeds
Structural Engineer: Curtins
Landscape Architect: Influence
With a growing population and to futureproof the existing facilities, the City of Lincoln Council commissioned Evans McDowall Architects to design a second chapel on the site of the existing City Crematorium. The project aims to provide a more intimate alternative to the main chapel for smaller ceremonies. Designs include a 50 seat chapel, a waiting area and a semi-enclosed garden for floral tributes.
Designs for the second chapel reinforce the architectural language and approach to the Phase 1 renovations, sharing design principles and using locally sourced materials to create a harmonious composition. Subtle variations to the design provide each building with its own identity. Phase 2 includes a limestone colonnade that extends across the façade and alters in rhythm to provide a screen to the the porte-cochere and floral tributes.
Set within an established landscaped setting, the site presented several constraints, including the presence of cremated remains and building boundary lines as set by the Crematorium Act 1902. The flow of mourners and separation of visitors arriving and departing services was critical to the spatial planning of the site. A series of semi-enclosed courtyard gardens defined by vertical tall bronze fins provide protected views and glimpses out to the wider landscape allowing space for reflection and solitude.
The chapel, porte-cochere and floral tribute colonnade will be constructed from a locally sourced Lincolnshire ashlar limestone set in lime mortar. The use of limestone will give a feeling of permanence, contrasting with the naturally weathering bronze cladding material to the crematory. This use of a rich palette of traditional materials, sourced locally, combined with an informed approach and contemporary detail will create an enriched architecture appropriate for its context.